What are the top 10 side jobs?

For many years, I’ve worked two or more jobs to make a bit of extra money, pay down a bit of debt, or to gain some experience in a field.  When I was a full time student, there were days where I’d finish working in the lab at 5pm, only to rush off and work a 6 hour shift in retail.  Yikes!  Until just recently, Brian would do something similar – work 8 hours at his office job then rush off to work a 4 to 6 hour shift at the wine store.

piggy bank

As I’ve paid off more of my debts and met more of my goals, I don’t maintain a second job anymore.  But there are definitely many benefits to having a side job.  For me, having a second job enabled me to pay down the majority of my credit card debt and save up money for vacations and emergency funds.  I’ve also gained skills that have been useful in other areas of my life.

But for someone already working full time, it can be challenging to just dive in and choose to work more.  Where do you start?  If you’re younger and lacking skills, what fields could you jump into?  If you’re a bit older, how can you get employers to take you on as a casual employee?

For the next ten Wednesdays, The Outlier Model will go through some great options for second jobs.  We’ll talk about some of the pros and cons of each job, the skills required, the skills gained, and the approximate income you could expect to receive.  I hope you guys will enjoy this new series!

Top 10 side jobs: #10 – Mystery Shopping

Top 10 side jobs: #9 – Special Events Customer Service

Top 10 side jobs: #8 – Sports Referee

Top 10 side jobs: #7 – Newspaper Delivery

Top 10 side jobs: #6 – Event Security

Posted in: Career and Work

1. Dear Debt says:

Exciting! I love side hustles. I’d be so behind without my side hustles. I’ve gotten offers to do mystery shopping but have yet to do it. Can’t wait to read about it.

2. brian says:

Looking forward to it. Also interested in how others are making a little side cash!

Fun! MS used to be a nice side income for me plus some freebies (gas, food) but these days cash is tight it seems and it only seems good for the free stuff.

4. Wow exciting! Surely I will follow this series! I really want to read a blogs like this that talks about side hustle job.

5. I’m pumped for this series! I do some side hustles and I’m excited to hear about more options.

Cool idea! I’ve had a ton of side jobs, it does add up fast when you have a savings or debt payoff goal.

7. Karen says:

Sounds like an awesome mini-series. I never worked while I was a full-time student, but looking back at it, I wish I did. I figured because I was in the co-op program, I would make my money there. However, I could have had a 2nd job during my work terms, but I didn’t have the drive to do so. That drive kicked in a little bit later after I started working full-time after graduation.

It’s hard to motivate yourself to take on even more work when you’re already busy. There were a lot of side gigs that I tried, and didn’t keep up with, for precisely that reason.

8. I’m working on two jobs, one in the daytime after college and another at night as a freelancer. It’s really tough working at 2 jobs when you are a full time student but as I have to support my studies I don’t have any other choice. It was very difficult at the start but now I’m habitual about it. I hope my studies will end soon so I can work only at a 1 job.