Posted by CF
on Dec 31, 2012 in Food and Grocery
| 6 comments
So the holidays are winding down and you’re having your last few turkey dinners with your friends, family, and distant relatives. Then the age old question arises… What to do with the turkey leftovers? Here’s 5 quick speed-recipe ideas for your leftover turkey:
- Turkey sandwich is probably the easiest and quickest leftover turkey meal. Simply throw together some turkey meat and bread along with lettuce, tomato and mayo for a delicious sandwich. Brian likes to add gravy and cranberry sauce onto his sandwiches.
- With the carcass, the traditional turkey soup is probably your best option. Simmer the bones for 3-4 hours, strain the broth, strip off the meat and toss it back in. Then, add your favourite veggies. I like to do a basic soup with celery, carrots and potatoes. For extra flavour, toss in some parsley and majoram while your soup is simmering.
- After you’ve perfected the art of sandwich and soup-making, branch out a bit and try a turkey fried rice. Trust me, it’s delicious. Just use a regular fried rice recipe and substitute turkey as your protein. I like to do my fried rice with turkey, peas, carrots, egg and corn. Just add some soy sauce to season at the end and ta-da: fried rice.
- If you have any gravy remaining, a leftover turkey pot pie is also delicious. I like to cheat and make a quasi-pot pie. I use left over pie dough to form a crust, then simply fill the crust with leftover roast carrots, potatoes and turkey. I add some frozen peas and the gravy, then bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden. If you make multiple small pies, there’s no need to form tops for the pies – they’ll hold together well enough from the gravy.
- And finally, when all else fails – make a leftover turkey casserole. Combine turkey, you favourite cream-based canned soup, your favourite noodle shape, and veggies (broccoli is nice) in a casserole dish. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake for 20-30 minutes. I like using cream of mushroom with spiral noodles and fresh broccoli and cremini muchrooms in my casserole. Delicious!
Do you have any great leftover turkey recipes?