Having the most frugal grocery budget in the world isn’t going to help you any if you can’t put together at least a few healthy, tasty, and cheap eats! Every month, The Outlier Model features a cheap recipe idea, along with the cost breakdown.
Fried rice is a great quick and easy meal which can use up a lot of leftover veggies and meat! Try adding unusual ingredients like asparagus or pineapple for something different.
What you need:
- 2 cups* cooked rice – 0.75, assuming rice bought in bulk at ~$28 for 10lbs
- 3 eggs – $0.50, assuming one dozen eggs for $2
- 1 cup frozen veggies, or leftover chopped veggies – $0.75
- scrap leftover meat (eg. turkey, roast chicken) – $0.75
- soy sauce or soy seasoning sauce – < $0.10 (or use leftover soy packets from takeout!)
- garlic powder – < $0.25
Heat up some oil on a pan. Crack in the eggs and break them up. Add rice and stir until well coated and eggs are starting to cooked. Add meat and veggies . Stir fry until everything is warm and well mixed. Turn off heat. Add soy sauce and garlic powder to taste.
Cost per serving: About 60 cents! My real cost is probably less, but I “rounded up” many costs, such as the cost of garlic powder.
Nice to have: Fresh chopped green onions on top, mushrooms, shrimp
Feeling adventurous: Add curry powder for a curry fried rice
*this is using the little cup that comes with your rice cooker, not actually a “cup”
Like Us? Sign Up!
Subscribe to get our latest content via email.
Leave a comment »